Thursday 20 March 2014

Monkey Puzzle Tree Birthday Surprises Part 2 Of 3

Surprise 1

So after unwrapping my presents me and Nathalie set off for my surprise birthday dinner. I say surprise as in the venue was a surprise, rather than it being a surprise that we were going out to eat. We boarded a 27 bus in Camden and headed south then west until we arrived at a stop close to Paddington station. Still unclear about our final destination as we walked along the road I suddenly realised that in the distance, looming up towards me, was a Monkey Puzzle tree! I have to say that my excitement of seeing another Monkey Puzzle tree was reaching ridiculous levels when I clocked that the tree was standing in the front of a beer garden of a pub called The Monkey Puzzle! The tree was a very fine specimen and seemed to be thriving in its unusual surroundings.


It's A Pub And It's Called The Monkey Puzzle And It Has A Monkey Puzzle Tree In Its Beer Garden!

As birthday meal venues go I couldn't have been any happier. The landlord Gary was the perfect host and the food we had was delicious and reasonable to boot. The meal was finished with a Viennetta (don't ask) and a chorus of Happy Birthday from the other diners and we left in the best of moods. I could go on and on about the place but will curb my enthusiasm for another post, as I don't expect it will be too long before I go back, that post will be dedicated to the Monkey Puzzle pub and I'll make sure that when I next visit it will be with a decent camera.


Monkey Puzzle Pub Sign & Monkey Puzzle Tree (W5)

The journey home was uneventful, though poor Nathalie had to put up with a very happy Monkey Puzzle tree nut all the way. However, if I thought that was the end of my surprises I wasn't aware of what was in store for me when we got back to Nat's.

(to be continued...)


Monkey Puzzle Trees Seen - 9        Monkey Puzzle Trees Yet To See - 4

No comments:

Post a Comment