Tuesday 19 February 2019

Bicton College & Devon 2016

Returning from our holiday in Cornwall me & Nat decided to split the journey home by stopping off in Devon for one night.  This meant we were able to visit probably one of the most iconic group of Monkey Puzzle Trees in Britain, the Bicton College Avenue.

Originally planted in 1844 the avenue was the longest in Europe at nearly 500m. It truly is an awe inspiring group of Monkey Puzzle trees, with a mix of old and newer trees. Whilst we were checking out all the wonderful trees the college's groundsman approached asking what we doing. Once we'd explained about my (our?) obsession he was not only happy to let us carry on he told me if I wanted one I could have one he'd grown form the avenue's seeds!  Not needing to be asked twice I seized the opportunity and am now the proud custodian of an ancestor of the Bicton College Monkey Puzzle Tree avenue!  Three more trees were seen during our brief stopover in Devon, two outside a pub just down the road from the college and one spotted from our B'n'B in the far distance.


Bicton College
Bicton College 1
Bicton College 2
Bicton College 3
Bicton College 4
Bicton College 5
Bicton College 6
Bicton College 7
Bicton College 8
Bicton College 9
Bicton College 10
Bicton College 11
Bicton College 12
Bicton College 13
Bicton College 14
Bicton College 15
Bicton College 16
Bicton College 17
Bicton College 18
Branscombe
Colaton Raleigh


Monkey Puzzle Trees Seen - 473

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dave Love you enthusiasm and good to see you are back on your travels after quite along break. I would really love to have a direct chat with you about Monkey Puzzles. just email me on djgedye@gmail.com

    Sincerely

    David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I'm sorry but I really don't feel comfortable giving out my email address for privacy reasons. However, I'm more than happy to chat here.

      Delete