Thursday 19 December 2013

An Evening With A Monkey Puzzle Expert

Back in November 2012 I was very lucky to be given the opportunity to attend a talk by Dr Tim UpsonCurator and Acting Director of Cambridge University Botanic Garden, entitled ‘From Cacti to Monkey Puzzles: Botanical Highlights of Chile’. I'm not usually one for these kind of events but Nathalie my girlfriend assured me, having attended similar talks in the past, that it would be worth making the effort. Obviously the title of the talk had got me very interested and so I willingly went along to Canning House in Belgrave Square to here the distinguished doctor deliver his talk.

As we approached the imposing building the talk was to be held in I began to have my doubts about the wisdom of saying yes to going. Even the chance to hear an expert and enthusiast discuss Monkey Puzzle trees didn't seem enough to overcome my feeling of being a fish very much out of water. Again Nathalie was able to convince me it would be worth the effort and with the promise of a free drink courtesy of the Embassy of Chile I entered no 2 Belgrave Square. The building was more impressive inside than it was foreboding from the outside and we were directed upstairs to the room the talk was to take place in by two very friendly security staff.

Sadly I can't recall what was said in any detail but I do remember that Dr Upson's talk was very informative and extremely entertaining, his knowledge of the plants of Chile was impressive and his love for the Monkey Puzzle tree was clear to see. How glad I was that Nat had encouraged me to go as it was probably one of the best talks/lectures I've ever attended. As we left the plush surroundings of Belgrave Square I thought to myself that I really should try and see as many Monkey Puzzle trees as I could.

Monkey Puzzle Trees Seen - 1        Monkey Puzzle Trees Yet To See - 0

No comments:

Post a Comment