Tuesday 21 January 2014

The First Time The Monkey Puzzle Tree Was Described And Given A Scientific Name

If you've read my last post you will know I've become quite obsessed with researching about the Monkey Puzzle tree. As I said there I intend to post my research in a future post, however I'm so excited by what I've just found I couldn't wait to post it and decided to share it immediately.

As the title of this post really gives away what I've found I'll just get on with it. The first time the Monkey Puzzle tree was described and given a scientific name was by (AbbĂ©) Molina, Giovanni Ignazio (1740-1829). He named the tree Pinus araucana on page 182 of his book Saggio sulla storia naturale del Chili (The geographical, natural and civil history of Chili), which was published in Bologna by Nella Stamperia de S. Tommaso d' Aquino in 1782.

The original Italian version of 1782 can be seen here - http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/127570#page/188/mode/1up

The First Scientific Naming Of The Monkey Puzzle Tree - 1782

The translated English version of 1808 can be viewed here - http://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/item/127539#page/154/mode/1up

The English Translation Of The First Scientific Naming Of The Monkey Puzzle Tree - 1808


Molina was born in Chile and entered the Jesuit college in Concepcion, where he studied languages and natural sciences. He was the librarian for the Jesuit order of St. Jago de Chili. After the expulsion of the Jesuits from the Spanish dominions, he became professor of natural sciences in Bologna.

How the Monkey Puzzle went on to be named Araucaria araucana I'll cover in a later post.

Monkey Puzzle Trees Seen - 7        Monkey Puzzle Trees Yet To See - 3

No comments:

Post a Comment