Thursday 5 February 2015

Thanks To The Monkey Map It Looks Like I'm Going To Be Very Busy!

Whilst Googling the other day for information about the history of Monkey Puzzle trees I stumbled across across the Monkey Map, a site set up with the intention of mapping all the Monkey Puzzle trees out there! The site was created and is managed by a true Monkey Puzzle nut, Sarah Horton who hails from Liverpool. Sara tells me that at last count she has catalogued, with the help of a host of fellow Monkey Puzzle tree enthusiasts, over 850 trees! I immediately offered all the trees I've seen for inclusion on her map and will be keeping her updated of every tree I see in future.



She has also created a wonderful interactive catalogue that can be found here. As the site catalogues all the Monkey Puzzle trees submitted I will be adopting their references for all the trees that I have seen. As an example the first Monkey Puzzle tree I saw at Monkey World has the catalogue reference BH1, I have now updated my site with this reference.



Whilst over the moon to have found more of my fellow travellers it obviously creates a small dilemma for me when it comes to my count of Monkey Puzzle trees I've yet to see. If I include all the wonderful trees catalogued by the Monkey Map that count should now be over 800 strong! However, having given the matter some thought I have decided only to include trees my friends and family point out to me on this list, whilst I am no doubt going to be using the Monkey Map as a invaluable resource when it comes to seeing new trees.

The thought of having such a brilliant source of where Monkey Puzzle trees can be found across the world at my fingertips is beyond my wildest dreams and has put the biggest smile on my face imaginable. I am in the debt of Sara and her 'agents' and thank you all from the bottom of my Monkey Puzzle Nut's heart!

Monkey Puzzle Trees Seen - 48       Monkey Puzzle Trees Yet To See - 15

No comments:

Post a Comment